Being a parent has a million and one potential things you can mess up. Not only do you want your kids to be healthy and safe, but you have to worry about raising them to be caring, thinking, contributing members of society.
In this vein, I think it's pretty important to teach my kids that toys are toys. There are no boy toys or girl toys. I try to stick to very gender-neutral toys, though I can't deny that Moose has a love of all things construction, building, and trucks, so we do have several toys in that vein.
But they also have play food, a baby doll, they wore pink and purple diapers when they were still in them. I let them watch "girl cartoons", and don't hesitate to put my hair accessories on them when they show interest.
For Christmas, I sewed my niece a hooded sweatshirt dress. Because she and Moose are of similar heights and builds, I had him try the dress on to give me an idea of where I should hem it.
Max was willing to put the sweatshirt on. But almost as soon as it was over his head, he looked down and said, "But I'm a boy, Momma."
What.
The.
Heck?
Who taught him to think like that?
So I said, "Baby, it's OK. It's just a piece of clothing."
But he insisted on taking it off.
So what do I do now?
No comments:
Post a Comment