The first post feels like it should be an introduction and a welcome, but I really want to get in and tell today's story of my Adventures with Little Boys. I think I'll save some background for a "slow" day.
Bee has been a little off lately. He has been getting extremely, out-of-this-world crabby when the least bit tired. In this state, logic escapes the boy and he doesn't know what he wants.
Take today for example. He didn't want to eat lunch because he was tired. But when I tried to put his plate away for later, he lost his mind. Screaming, crying, trying to climb up my leg...the whole works. So I gave the plate back. Commence more screaming, crying, trying to climb my leg.
Since there clearly was no winning, I put the plate away again and took him to his bedroom and tried to get him settled down for his nap.
"I want my quesadilla," the squirmy, sweaty 2-year-old with snot running down his face from all his tears blubbered at me.
I tried logic: "Toby, I've given you your quesadilla twice and you said you didn't want it. We'll save it for when you're up from your nap and then you can have it."
"I want my quesadilla," the squirmy, sweaty 2-year-old with snot running down his face from all his tears sobbed at me.
I tried a firm hand: "Bee, it's time for a nap. We're going to take lay down now."
"I want my quesadilla," the squirmy, sweaty 2-year-old with snot running down his face from all his tears wailed at me.
Alright, I thought. Maybe he really does want his quesadilla. So we went back to the kitchen. I tried to hand him his lunch. Which he promptly tried to dump on the floor.
We started to leave the kitchen and the wailing escalated.
I hauled the kid to his room and tried to coerce him to lay still. I wish that was a joke.
Bee, of course, struggled harder and wailed, "I want my quesadilla," studdering due to the severity of his sobs.
"You want you quesadilla?" I asked.
"Yes!" he wept.
So I bent to the will of the 2-year-old and got his quesadilla from the kitchen.
Laying in his bed, the sobs turned to snivels as he nibbled on his lunch.
He gnawed it down until it was nothing and then drifted to sleep, overcome by his exhaustion.
And that is when I reached my new parenting low by sending my kids to bed with his lunch.
To explain the picture above, we've really been enjoying our play set in the back yard. And there was no way I was going to try to take a picture of the Bee in the state he was in. The play set is a great place to burn off a little energy and it takes no effort to send them there. We can go at 7:30am, like we did this morning...because it had been an hour and a half since they woke up and we were already bored. Moose loves to swing, and while Bee doesn't, he's perfecting the art of pushing his brother on the swing. I love when they work together.
No comments:
Post a Comment